Also in this section:
- A Gospel That Doesn't Make Sense
- God as Ultimate Being, is Never Becoming
- Complacent Repentance
- Getting Hit By The Waves
- Why Do Good Things Happen to Bad People?
- Rejoice, Imitate, Identity – And So On and So On…
- Pardoned and Glorified
- Our Future is Bright
- Misunderstanding “Repentance” is Confusing the Gospel
- Image and Likeness = Dignity and Sanctity
- Sheep Without a Shepherd
- Why Christian Marriage Matters
- The Ordinary Christian Life Is a Radical Life
- People Over Profit
- The Greater David
- 4 Ways God Punishes Sin
- Go Therefore…
- Would Jesus Win Every Event at The Olympics?
- The Object of Our Faith
- Habakkuk’s First Complaint
- Your Lion’s Den
- Give Me Liberty
- Turf War: Missionaries Are Moving in on Our Territory
- The Heavens Declare
S. S. S.
by Mark O'Farrell, D.D.
May 24, 2016
You may be thinking that this should be S.O.S, the international emergency signal of distress. No, it is S.S.S. What is that? It means it is So Simply Simple! “What are we talking about?” That is probably your next question, right?
In an age of such complexity and challenge, knowing that something is simple and easy to accomplish is very refreshing. When I am “watching” my grandchildren of fourth and third grade status, they have mastered all the controls for the cable, sound bar, VCR, and other offerings with multiple controls. It is so simply simple for them to set things up and “watch me!” When out shopping, watch how businesses attempt to make it simpler and easier for the customer. This goes for purchasing, shipping, and earning points. They want to create ‘ease’ in the process.
In the spiritual realm, the enemy desires to make things complex and difficult. Moving toward God, he says, is too hard and so unrewarding. Guilt is added. Unworthiness is placed on the agenda. He wants one to become so discouraged and disturbed that they say, “What is the use?”
But I have very good news! It is so simply simple to come to Him. You just COME! The invitation to approach Him, just as you are with all your doubts and fears, is throughout the Old and New Testaments:
“Come now, let us reason together says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.” Isaiah 1:18 ESV
“Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.”
Isaiah 55:1 ESV
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28 NKJV
“And the Spirit and the bride say, Come! And let him who hears say, Come! And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.”
Revelation 22:17 NKJV
The word “Come” is used 1,107 times in the Old Testament and 537 times in the New Testament. Hundreds of times it is the invitation from the Almighty to simply “Come”. It is like when Peter asked to be commanded to come if he were Jesus who was walking on water. And Jesus said: “Come”! Matthew 14:28 ESV
The reason this is So Simply Simple, no matter the feeling or what the enemy places in the mix, is because of the following:
- God Wants Us To Come! Simply … Come … Go toward Him in mind and spirit.
- God Wants Us To Come just as we are! Come with the doubts, the misgivings, the hurts, the problems, the unknowns … Come just as you are.
As the hymn clearly states in the third and fourth stanzas:
Just as I am, though tossed about with many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without, O Lamb of God I come.
Just as I am, poor, wretched ….O Lamb of God I come.
God wants us to “simply” come as we are!
3. God Wants Us To Come and He will provide the solution to the complexity of any given issue. Come and let God figure it out! Remember the words of Scripture: “Lean not upon your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.” It is time to be simple … come just as you are!
Just come … it is so simply simple … Come! You have been invited to come … so come! God wants to give and bless … but you must come! Come as you are. God has it all figured out! Simply Come!
Rev./Dr. Mark T. O’Farrell is President of Trinity College of Florida located in Trinity, Florida since 2005. Dr. O’Farrell is licensed as an Official Worker of The Christian and Missionary Alliance and has served in pastorates in Belle Glade and Port Charlotte, Florida.