Also in this section:
The President's Circle
(download the President's Circle as a PDF here)
I know a believer who is very grateful to the Lord for mosquitoes! Let me tell you why!
During my first pastorate, I had an African American friend who had the responsibility of collecting rent from the laborers in the fields. A reasonable cost for housing was provided for the “crop workers.” My friend Henry had the assignment of collecting the rent when the laborers were paid. There was a problem: they would not pay the rent. Henry tried many ways but was unsuccessful. He took this problem to the Lord. He prayed for wisdom and help. He needed God's intervention. His bosses were holding him accountable.
He went to the workers and asked for their cooperation. They refused. He told me that one time they tried to throw him off a second story floor, but Henry was in great physical shape and had the Lord's protective hand. They captured a picture of Henry and sent it to Haiti for the Voodoo doctors to stick him and put a spell on him. It did not work. Christ in him was more powerful!
He needed a resolution to his dilemma. God gave him an idea! He would take the doors off their apartments when they were in the fields and put them back when they paid. When they returned to their housing, the doors were missing! However, they laughed at Henry and told him that they would simply hang draperies or blankets as a door. They could stand the heat in the apartment without air. They did not need doors! No problem.
But they made a big miscalculation! They underestimated one creature in the Glades. The mosquitoes there are BIG and Hungry! You can shoot them with a 22! The mosquitoes did their work! The laborers started paying the rent and then Henry would put the doors back on! God Answered Prayer!
Henry told me, “I know now why God made mosquitoes … to help me collect rent!" (I think we may have discussed if mosquitoes were on Noah's ark.)
God took care of His servant! The application is clear for you and me:
1. God is working behind the scenes for you and will reveal that in His perfect time. He was working for Henry - He is working for you - dealing with the challenge, problem, or difficulty confronting you. He sees, He knows, and He works for those who seek Him! “…But anyone who trusts in Him will never be disgraced” Romans 9:33 NLT. “As the Scriptures tell us, ‘Anyone who trusts in Him will never be disgraced’” Romans 10:11 NLT. God will not let you down - you can count on it!
2. God plus One is a Majority no matter what the numbers are against you! Henry had the Lord and that was enough! He was protecting, giving ideas and the plan for resolution! He was outnumbered. But GOD! God brought the numbers down to 300 from 32,000 in order to gain the victory against the Midianites (Gideon, Judges 7). Little is much when God is in it and much is little if God is not in it! So many spiritual principles are seen and learned! Keep good notes!
3. God will give you the victory in order for you to recognize His unmatched and remarkable intervention. He uses the most unusual methods and entities! He receives the Glory and we receive the Deliverance! “He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him” Psalm 91:15 NKJV. “Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you and you shall glorify Me” Psalm 50:15 NKJV.
Be on the alert for your “special intervention.” Be faithful, be prayerful, and be diligent in honoring Him. He will not disappoint you. Please share your story! Others will be encouraged! All shall glorify our Lord Jesus Christ!
The Latest Happenings…
▪ Congratulations are in order for Dr. Eric Bargerhuff, Director of the Honors Program at Trinity. In July, Holy Wave Plus, an organization based in South Korea, officially signed a contract for a Korean-language edition of his book, “The Most Misused Verses in the Bible.” The book was published by Bethany House Publishers in 2012. The Chinese edition is due out this Christmas.
▪ Congratulations to alumnus Kevin Glenn, class of 2000, upon completing his D.Min. through George Fox University. Kevin writes the following:
▪ Congratulations also go to alumnus Jason Knecht, class of 2010, upon completing his M.Div. through Covenant Theological Seminary. Jason writes the following:
▪ The 2014 Faculty and Staff Retreat was held on August 6, 2014 with Dr. Ron Kroll, Director of the Commission on Accreditation, Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE), as our guest speaker. The President and other administrators gave updates on the College along with Rev. Sam Thomas, Vice President of the Alumni Association (class of 1975). The theme was “Change, Oh Yes … Oh No.”
▪ Faculty Training Day occurred August 13 regarding ABHE Solutions (web based software) and Google communities. Development topics such as Transformational Teaching and Learning along with the concept of the “Flipped Classroom” were discussed.
▪ The President, Director of Admissions and Associate Dean for Degree Completion will be present at the Southeastern District Conference of The Christian and Missionary Alliance September 15-17, 2014. Over one hundred churches will be represented.
▪ The College hosted Voting Precinct 100 for voters in the primary election on August 26 and will be the hosting site again for the November 4 general election. Members of the commuity are on campus all day, experiencing Trinity College of Florida. In addition, our new food service is working to host community meetings on campus, creating more awareness as well as more lunch traffic from the surrounding area.
▪ New student orientation was August 16-18. Fifty new students in the traditional program and forty-two in the degree completion program, TrinityQuest, have joined the College community.
▪ Online offerings are gearing up with faculty members completing their course curricula. Presently twenty-seven students are fully online through our degree completion program.
▪ A Revenue Implementation Committee has been appointed to seek ways of increasing revenue for the summer of 2015. Dr. Shannon Hogan is the chairman of this new committee.
▪ iServe will be September 3-5, 2014, allowing the students an opportunity to serve together. Representatives of churches will be present on campus to meet and greet our student body. Opportunities for church ministry and community connections will be on the agenda.
▪ Convocation was held Friday, August 22, 2014 to dedicate the 2014-2015 college year.
▪ The President’s Council will meet on campus Friday, October 10, followed by the Board of Trustees meeting on Friday, October 31.They will be working on the remaining monies needed for the new student residence hall. A half million dollar gift was received this summer with other donors planning to give as of the time of this writing. Three apartments with three bedrooms each had to be rented again. Other students are choosing to live off campus due to a shortage of inadequate housing. Please pray for this urgent need.
▪ Dr. Elizabeth Warfel, Assistant Professor of Psychology, at Trinity writes this about her experience in at the Oxford Round Table in England this summer:
▪ Over $32,000 has been given toward the Life Change Scholarship along with two additional major gifts that have been given for student need. Life Change is an un-endowed scholarship that is awarded to students who are still in need upon their completion of financial aid requirements.
▪ Don’t forget to check out our new online store for Trinity College of Florida!
Urgent Prayer Requests …
▪ Pray for the remainder of the funding necessary for the new student residence hall.
▪ Pray for the student body re-engaging in the normal College year – homesickness, financial needs, family challenges, and personal problems.
▪ Pray for the iServe event September 3, Coffee Fix September 4, and Community Connect September 5, 2014.
▪ Pray for the Global Impact Conference October 1-3, 2014.
▪ Pray for the development of the new Honors Program.
A note from one of our partners.
“More than ever, it is our intentional effort to not only promote that students come to know Christ, but we promote that they come to serve Him. May the decisions they make bring a smile to the Lord’s face as well as yours in hope that they will attend Trinity to bring even more to Jesus. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart for your partnership – may God bless you all beyond your greatest imaginations. It is with the most love and sincere thanks that I write to you and to your kind staff. Trinity College of Florida is a powerful connection for Rock Solid Camps at Lake Swan Camp and we are honored to co-labor with you!” Marsha P. Metzger, Director, Rock Solid Camps
With a grateful heart,